Infertility is a HUGE problem these days. If you haven’t struggled with it, chances are you know at least one person who has. Many factors play into fertility for both men and women. It’s my hope to gather resources together on this page to help guide those of you who would like to get pregnant towards hope and answers.
Here are some infertility statistics here in the U.S. (based on info gathered between 2006-2010):
- 6.7 million women between the ages of 15-44 have an impaired ability to get pregnant or carry a baby to term
- 1.5 million married women between the ages of 15-44 have been diagnosed as infertile (by definition means not being able to get pregnant after 12 consecutive months of unprotected sex with their husband).
- 7.4 million women have used infertility services at some point
Can you imagine what those numbers are now 5-10 years later???
Here are some of the top causes of fertility problems in our day and age for both men & women:
- Hormone imbalance- This is HUGE and probably the number one reason why couples struggle getting pregnant. Hormones are super important in every system in our body, especially our reproductive system. However, with birth control pills/shots/patches, synthetic estrogen’s in our toiletry products, elevated constant stress levels, exposure to heavy metals, and other common day imbalances in our world, everyone’s hormones are being effected. Guys have too much estrogen and not enough testosterone and women have too much of the “bad” estrogen, and not enough progesterone (in general). This causes women’s menstrual cycle’s to become irregular and inefficient and men’s sperm count to be weak, slow, and have low quality.
- Stress- Ok, imagine a scenario with me… you’re in the woods and fighting to survive. All of a sudden a huge grizzly bear appears and starts chasing you. What would happen to your body in that moment? Your hormones kick in to increase your chances of survival. All of a sudden you can run faster and jump higher than you ever could before. This is all thanks to your fight of flight system run by the adrenal glands that secrete adrenaline and cortisol to turn you into a superhuman. How does this apply to you? You might not be running from an actual bear, but in our society in America, for the most part we are overworked, over-stressed, and don’t have enough fun, rest, and rejuvenation. Our brain’s are wired for survival. A stressful job could be your grizzly bear. If you are constantly in a state of stress or heightened sensitivity, your body doesn’t know the difference in the cause, and it will continue to secrete these hormones to keep you alert and going. The PROBLEM related to fertility with this is your body, thinking it’s being chased by a bear, will not get pregnant in that state. Your mind isn’t thinking, “Holy crap we are about to get eaten alive, let’s increase our adrenaline so we can escape the grips of death, and while we’re at it, this is a perfect time to make a baby!” It’s important to make whatever adjustments you need to in order to slow down, relax, enjoy life, be happy, have fun, and play! Believe it or not, it will make a big impact in your sex life, hormones, and fertility!
- Pressure- If you found your way onto this site, I’m guessing you know how a baby is made. If you don’t please ask your parent’s. 😉 Let us not forget that baby making is supposed to be FUN and enjoyable! If you and your partner truly enjoy each other and are physically, emotionally, and mentally attracted to each other, your odds of conceiving are much higher! So take the pressure off of you and your partner and find ways to make it fun and adventurous! Before you know it, you’ll be seeing those two lines on a stick!
More to come soon…